The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Pro (ASPCA Pro) said that in the beginning of 2019 the amount of calls related to pets consuming marijuana jumped 765% over the same period in 2018. And the ASPCA Pro’s web page “Marijuana Toxicosis in Animals” saw a 700% increase in visitors in January 2019 compared to the previous January.
Dogs are approximately 10-times more sensitive to THC than humans, Healthy Pets reports. This is because dogs have many more cannabinoid receptors than humans.
Veterinarians are increasingly reporting visits for marijuana toxicosis in pets—an issue that sometimes results in the pet’s death—as more states legalize medical and recreational marijuana use.
Oftentimes, dogs ingest cannabis edibles made of chocolate, which means they get exposed to two toxic substances.
Properly storing and disposing of marijuana products can protect pets from accidental ingestion.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is still assumed safe for pets by many vets, however, dogs are highly sensitive to cannabinoids, so micro-dosing is typically recommended.